R&D Associate – Co-op Student | Winter 2022
NERv aims to create a paradigm shift in post-operative care, utilizing the plethora of data within the body, to help in the
detection of post-operative complications at their onset. NERv’s platform sensing technology augments existing wound drains
and catheters, providing healthcare providers with a smart monitoring tool that can enhance the delivery of care. NERv’s
technology is being built with the goal of decreasing surgeon’s response time to potential complications, making patient
recovery easier, and hopefully saving lives.
The candidate would join the R&D Engineering team to support the research, development and manufacturing of our
proprietary sensor modules and upstream sensor technologies. The candidate will primarily work with the team to design,
execute and improve existing sensor-related processes and research projects. They would also provide assistance to our
clinical, manufacturing and data analysis teams as needed.
This role will require you to come into our offices in Kitchener, ON on occasion.
This position is funded partially through the Biotalent Program. As such we will require candidates to be eligible for that
- Design, improve and test sensor-related processes in current and future product iterations.
- Plan and execute experimental procedures for various research projects.
- Analysis, thorough documentation, and presentation of R&D data to various internal and external stakeholders.
- Troubleshooting and root-cause analysis of sensor-related issues, often with limited data and context.
- Propose sensor technologies to future product requirements, assess feasibility, and plan for integration into product
- Assist our internal R&D and manufacturing teams wherever needed.
You’re self-driven and able to adapt in a fast-paced team environment without losing attention to detail. You thrive in a
collaborative, cross-functional team setting and want to work with like-minded, high performers ? Even when the pressure
builds up. You will often be facing real-world and open-ended challenges, and you’re ready to dive into uncharted territories.
You can question the status quo and fall back to the fundamentals of the natural world. You’re not afraid to take the driver’s
seat, love to learn and can quickly grasp new concepts as they arise during your work. If this sounds like you, we’d love to
- Experience with biosensor-related research (Design of Experiments, report generation and presentation, etc.)
- Systematic methodology for scientific experimentation with clear alignment to project goals
- Ability to switch between “hack-y prototyping” and “scientifically rigorous” mindsets depending on project stage and
- Comfortable working in a research lab setting (handling hazardous and biohazardous materials)
- Attention to detail, with an appreciation for the subtleties of sensor behavior and experimental approaches
- Proficiency at organizing, documenting, and presenting technical information
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities and environments
- Experience with scripting and signal processing in Python
- Experience with electronic system operation, troubleshooting, and development (e.g. Arduino)
- Experience with mechanical design of fixtures and jigs using industry-standard tools (e.g. Fusion 360, SolidWorks)